I love granola bars but often times packaged bars are processed and loaded with added sugars. This recipe contains only sweetness from dried fruits and tastes delicious. These bars are quick to throw together and are perfect for those of us on the go!
Now check out the recipe.
1 cup whole grain flour (I used spelt but you could use whole wheat)
1 cup old fashioned oats
½ cup pitted prunes (around 11 prunes)
½ cup raisins
½ cup dried apricots
1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
2 T cacao nibs (optional)
⅓ cup water + approx. 1-2 T
Preheat oven to 325ºF. Cover an 8-inch x 8-inch pan with parchment paper.
- Place prunes, raisins and apricots in a mini-chopper or food processor and pulse until well chopped.
- Combine flour, oats, chopped fruit mixture, nuts, cacao nibs and 1/3 cup water in a large bowl and knead with your hands until a ball of dough forms. (Add more water if the mixture is too dry.)
- Press dough firmly and evenly into the prepared pan. Cut into squares with a sharp knife before placing in the oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until baked through but still soft (don’t overbake them or the bars will be dry and tough).
- Store leftover bars in the refrigerator.
- Snacks, Nuts
It's healthy recipe week in our Get Fit For 2011 challenge and giveaway. Be sure to post your fave healthy recipe in our Get Fit group to enter our weekly giveaway of a $100 Nike gift card and a chance to win our grand prize — a four-day fitness boot camp in LA!