In our Healthy Recipe Group, FitSugar Community member Lauren shared this yummy recipe for a veggie stir-fry with tuna.
Once a week, my husband and I always make a stir-fry for dinner. Most of the time it is all vegetables since both of us often crave veggie dishes. But this last week, we opted to experiment with both fresh bamboo since I have only used canned and a half pound of tombo tuna. The bamboo shoots were much more tasty fresh than the canned counterpart and a wonderfully crunchy addition to my stir-fry. There was not a ton of tuna in the stir-fry but it was nice touch of protein for the dish. I love stir-frys since you can add whatever you have on hand!
See the recipe when you
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped into 1/4 inch slices
2 small green zucchini, chopped into 1/2 inch slices
1/2 cup fresh bamboo, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup frozen soy beans
1/2 cup bean sprouts
1/2 pound fresh tuna, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
3 tablespoons ginger, finely chopped
2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
2-3 tablespoons lite soy sauce
1 tablespoon sriracha, if desired
- Use one tablespoon of oil and heat up the wok. Cook the shallots and garlic for 2-3 minutes.
- Add more oil, if needed. The carrots go next since they will take longer to cook than the other ingredients. Cook for another 3-5 minutes until the carrots are just starting to get tender. Add the soy beans and bamboo shoots.
- Add zucchini and red bell pepper, ginger. Add the soy sauce and sriracha and cook until all of the veggies are nearly done.
- Just before the veggies are done, make space in the bottom of the wok and make sure it is hot. Place the bean sprouts on top of the veggies to heat them thoroughly. Sprinkle a little more oil in the bottom of the pan and sear the tuna. It should only take a few minutes at most. Serve with rice or just by itself with extra soy sauce, if needed.
Makes 4-6 servings.
- Other, Main Dishes
- Other Asian
If you're cooking up a healthy recipe this week, be sure to snap a picture and share it in our Healthy Recipe Group. I know our readers will want to try it!
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.