Environmentally speaking, little things can make a difference. A lot of little people doing a lot of big things can make a HUGE difference. Some extreme environmentalists are trying to do just that, in a movement called No Impact. Basically, No Impact Environmentalists attempt to live their lives, in modern America, without making a negative impact on the environment. It is a simple idea with serious consequences to everyday activities. Here is a sketch of the basic concepts:
- Create no trash by composting food scraps, re-using objects, and recycling.
- Create no carbon emissions - say goodbye to cars, buses, airplanes, or any other mode of transportation that uses gas. Say hello to biking and walking for transportation.
- Create no water pollution by using environmentally-friendly soaps, detergents, and cleaners. This also means saying goodbye to your conventional TOILET. Yes that's right - you can also compost your waste with a composting toilet.
- Use no electricity - this creates carbon dioxide emissions, which are linked to Global Warming. This translates into no TV, no lights, no microwave, no oven, no elevators, no air-conditioning, etc. You can use renewable energy to generate electricity with solar panels or windmills.
There's more. To hear about them
- Buy no products in packaging, unless of course it can be recycled or re-used.
- Buy no produce shipped from distant lands - this goes back to the "no carbon emissions" idea. Try growing your own fruits and veggies, or buying local.
Fit's Tips: Think about it. Could you give up the way you live now to try to have NO IMPACT on the destruction of the planet? Maybe you couldn't do everything on that list, but surely we can all do something. Like buying produce at your local farmer's market or using vinegar to mop your floors. For more tips on going green check out treehugger.com.