Making healthier decisions isn't all about eating a kale salad every day and never skipping your workout. Here are five little ways you can be a little healthier by the end of the day without dieting or exercising at all.
- Sprinkle spice: Your morning cup of coffee already has many health benefits, so don't undo the good in that morning cup by adding refined, high-calorie sugar or artificial sweeteners. Swap for spice instead to increase the health benefits in your mug; adding cinnamon, for example, can help lower blood sugar while nutmeg is known for its detoxifying and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Opt for water: Stop drinking your calories — those empty calories could be the reason why you're not seeing the scale budge. Opt for water over juice or soda; flavored with lemon (another way to detox during the day) or orange slices to still keep taste buds happy without the unwanted calories.
- Keep moving: You've heard it before, but it's true — those little steps you fit in throughout the day add up. Make walking a priority instead of sitting for too long at your desk; you'll raise your metabolism and lower your disease risk if you keep those extended sitting periods to a minimum every day.
- Add some greens: Boost the nutritional content of almost everything you eat by adding a few greens to the mix. Spinach makes a great candidate for sneaking into foods — while the mild-tasting green packs it in nutritionally, whether you're topping on pizzas, blending into your brownies, or adding to smoothies, you won't be able to taste it.
- Take a break: No matter how busy you are, you've got time for a quick breather from your day. Remembering to calm down is especially important for managing your stress levels, so take a moment to practice deep breathing while you enjoy a moment in your hectic day.
Image Source: Thinkstock