- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- Sprinkle of oregano
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 2 14.5 ounce cans fire-roasted diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 quart vegetable stock in a box
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat with 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil; add the garlic and onions; wait five minutes to soften, then add in salt and pepper.
- Add green bell pepper; soften for a few minutes and then add spice mixture, stirring for a couple more minutes. Add beans, tomatoes, and tomato paste to the chili, cook 20 minutes until thickened, then turn off the heat and cool. Use veggie broth to thin chili if needed.
- Serve the chili in bowls and garnish with the chopped avocado, a spoon of sour cream, shredded cheese, sprinkle of pepitas, and tortilla chips on the side.
- North American