People are always asking me what they should eat before and after working out and the math is simple: aim for a high-carbohydrate, moderate protein, low-fat meal or snack. The problem comes in when trying to figure out what snacks and meals fall into those basic guidelines. I did a fun little quiz on foods for working out a while back, but recently Weight Watchers has summed up their favorite pre- and post-workout snacks/meals. They sound tasty and look easy, so I wanted to share them with you so you can get a few more ideas for yourself.
Five pre-workout snack ideas:
- Half a chicken, turkey or lean roast beef sandwich on whole-wheat bread
- Low-fat yogurt with a sliced banana
- Low-fat string cheese and 6 whole-grain crackers
- Hard-boiled eggs, yolks removed and replaced with hummus. (Check out my own recipe here!)
- Skim milk blended with frozen fruit to make a smoothie
For post-workout meal ideas just read more.
Five post-workout replenishing meal ideas:
- One or two poached eggs on whole-wheat toast
- Bean burrito: a whole-wheat tortilla filled with black beans, salsa and reduced-fat cheese
- Stir-fried chicken and vegetables (try pepper, zucchini and carrot) over brown rice
- Whole-wheat pasta tossed with chicken, broccoli and eggplant
- Whole-grain cereal or oatmeal, with milk and fruit (such as a sliced banana)