You hear a lot of buzz going on around strength training, resistance training and weight training but what is the difference? Is one better than the other?
Strength training is a general term for all exercises that develop the strength and size of muscles. Strength training and resistance training as well as strength training and weight training are interchangeable terms used to describe exercise that builds lean muscle tissue. All forms of training will help make your muscles strong as well as increase bone density. So which is best for you? To find out,
|Resistance training is a form of strength training which each effort is performed against a specific opposing force generated by elastic/hydrolic resistance.
- Resistance training is portable. This means that you can take bands or tubing virtually anywhere, giving you the ability to train anywhere.
- Women are afraid of getting "too jacked" (even though they shouldn't be), so they opt for this choice over weights.
- You can do virtually any exercise you would with free weights, with resistance equipment.
- Easy on the joints so a wider audience can perform exercises.
- For those wishing to increase muscle size, you're less likely to experience bulking-up as much with resistance training as it may not work your muscles as hard as free weights.
- It can be awkward and uncomfortable performing some exercises with resistance equipment.
|Weight training is a form of strength training which each effort is performed against gravity for resistance. This means that the majority of the resistance is at the beginning of the movement, and after that point the overall resistance alters depending on the angle of the joint.
- Good for getting larger muscles.
- Exercises are more widely known.
- They work each muscle in a wide range of angles.
- Weight training helps promotes balance and posture by strengthening supporting muscles as well as core muscles, in addition to the targeted muscle.
- Weights themselves are bulky and are hard to take with you everywhere you go.
- You must pay close attention to having proper form so you don't injure yourself.
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.