Lifting weights while balancing on one leg can make an easy lifting move much more challenging. Balancing will also work your abs and lower back, and will also strengthen the quads of your lifted leg. If this move is too hard to do with your leg straight, just bend your lifted leg instead just as in the Balancing Hammer Curls exercise. You'll need a set of dumbbells for this move.
- Stand firmly with both feet together, holding a weight in each hand against the sides of your body.
- Now shift your weight into your left foot, and slowly lift your right knee up and straighten your leg. Focus your gaze on one steady point in front of you to help you stay balanced.
- Now bend your elbows, bringing the weights straight up towards your shoulders, keeping your palms facing one another. This is the start position.
- Inhale to straighten your arms and lift the dumbbells up over your head.
- Exhale as you slowly lower the weights back down towards the start position.
- Repeat this move for a total of 8 to 12 times and then switch to the other leg, for another 8 to 12 reps. That completes one set. Do a total of three sets.