I love this pose because it really stretches out my hamstrings and lengthens my spine. It's especially great after a run or hike.
To get into wide-legged forward bend:
- Start at the front of your mat in mountain pose.
- As you inhale, take a step open to the right, so there's about 3-4 feet between your feet. As you exhale, bring your hands to your hips.
- Inhale and point your toes in so your heels are wider than your toes, and then lengthen through your spine.
- Exhale and hinge at your hips folding forward, trying to keep your spine straight.
- Grab your big toes with the first 2 fingers and thumbs. Shift your weight forward into your toes so your hips are in line with your heels.
- As you hold for 5 breaths (or as long as you'd like), think about drawing the crown of your head to the ground. (If your head touches the ground easily, bring your feet closer together.)
- To come out of the pose, inhale and look up. Exhale, place your hands on your hips. Inhale and slowly lift your torso all the way up. Exhale back to mountain pose at the front of your mat.
That's it. Make sure to practice this one because it'll get you ready for the next Yoga Challenge. To check out the previous poses, go to It's a STRETCH: Fit's Yoga Challenge group.