You don't have to celebrate Hanukkah to love a good latke, and you'll love this twist on the classic latke recipe. Although oil is a huge part of the tradition, drenching potatoes in a ton of oil isn't exactly the healthiest thing for you, so check out this recipe. It doesn't involve any deep-frying, and it mixes grated carrots with sweet potatoes.
1 russet potato
1 sweet potato
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup canola oil
- Grate the potato, sweet potato, and carrot in a food processor. Move grated veggies to a colander to allow the excess moisture to drain out. Gently press the veggies down to encourage more liquid to drain out.
- Move the mixture into a large bowl and add the eggs, flour, and salt. Mix well.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Add large spoonfuls of the batter to the pan and shape them into pancakes that are about 1/4 inch thick. Cook each side until golden brown, about five to eight minutes per side.
- Place a paper towel on a plate, and put the cooked latkes on top so the extra oil can be absorbed.
- Serve warm with ketchup or applesauce.
- Vegetables, Appetizers
- 24 pancakes
- Cook Time
- 30 min
- Calories per serving