Finding a swimming hole or gorge is like finding a treasure. They are a great way to cool off on a hot day if you can't get to a pool, beach, or lake. You should stick to the ones that people have been to or check out this website to find a swimming hole near you.
Unfortunately many injuries and deaths result from people acting careless or just being unaware. Here are some tips so you can enjoy the crisp water while keeping safe:
- Always swim with a buddy and let others know where you are going that day.
- Never dive head first - you don't want to risk paralysis from a broken back or head injury.
- Wear water shoes to protect your feet from sharp rocks or broken glass. They're also good for gripping when you're trying to walk up a slippery rock to get out of the water.
- Never stand directly under a waterfall - as sexy as it may seem, a rock could fall on your head.
- Don't climb above or alongside a waterfall - you could fall since the rocks may be slippery or unstable.
- Don't put your feet or hands in places you can't see. Snakes?
- As fun as it may seem (since "everyone is doing it"), do NOT jump from severe heights into the water since the depths of swimming holes are unpredictable.
Fit's Tips: After your swimming hole excursion, be sure to have someone check you for ticks.