Just like running endlessly on a treadmill, swimming laps can be super
boring repetitive. Exercising in a pool is so refreshing though, especially on Summer days that are too hot to jog or bike outside. If swimming laps isn't your cup of tea, here are some ways you can burn calories and strengthen your muscles while staying cool in the pool.
- Do triceps dips: Use the pool stairs and place your hands on the top step and your feet two or three steps below. Tone the backs of your arms by doing three sets of 15 to 20 reps.
- Instead of chatting it up on a lounge chair with your best friend, talk while treading water. Just 10 minutes will burn 45 calories.
- Swim over to the side of the pool or hold onto some pool noodles and do kicks, just like when you were a kid. Focus on keeping your legs straight and alternately fluttering them like a synchronized swimmer, or move them at the same time like a mermaid. You're sure to feel this in your quads and glutes.
Keep reading for more pool-toning exercise ideas.
- While in waist-deep water, walk or jog around the pool. The water offers incredible resistance so although you may not move very fast, you'll feel your legs and tush burning.
- In waist- or shoulder-deep water, stand in one place and do side leg lifts to tone your outer thighs, knee lifts to work your quads, and heel lifts to target your calves. Get creative and do whatever exercises you do on dry land while in the pool. Complete three sets of 15 to 20 reps for each exercise.
- Before getting out to dry off, do two sets of 15 to 20 pool push-ups on the edge of the pool. This exercise will tone your arms and upper back.
- If you'd rather have someone else dictate your water workout, take a water aerobics class. You may be spending an hour with a gaggle of older ladies, but you'll burn 236 calories doing it.
- If these seem too structured, play a game of water volleyball. All the jumping, diving, swimming, and spiking are sure to get your heart pumping.