Being in a relationship is so exciting that spending so much time together can cause your healthy lifestyle to fly out the window. You may even adopt some of your partner's unhealthy habits. That can add up to some extra pounds on the scale, so here are some tips to prevent weight gain while dating.
- Remember that eating an extra 500 calories a day will make you gain a pound in one week, so be conscious of how much you're eating. Just because your guy has three slices of pizza, that doesn't mean you should too. Guys need more calories, so remember to eat appropriate sized portions, even when dining together.
- You don't have to eat just because your partner is. Guys tend to inhale their meal, and then an hour later they're eating again. It can be tempting to join in if food is in front of you, but don't nosh unless you're truly hungry.
- Keep up with your regular exercise schedule. When you're in a relationship, you don't want to sacrifice the things that are important to your own well-being, so make time for your 20 to 60 minutes of exercise a day. Get up early before work or steal away during lunchtime so you don't feel like it's taking away from time spent with your loved one.
- Or better yet, exercise together. Meet at the gym after work, play tennis or racquetball, take salsa dance lessons or a Vinyasa yoga class, or join a dodgeball team.
- Spend more time being active together instead of sitting on the couch. You don't have to be really athletic, but you can tour a museum, take a walk in the park, hike in the woods, or go for a bike ride.
- Sign up for a healthy cooking class together so you can both learn new ways to make delicious dishes that are full of nutrients but not full of saturated fat, cholesterol, and empty calories.