Stop — before you settle into a season of sedentary hibernation, think about it: do you really want to undo all the hard work you've put in this Summer? Stay on the right track with these tips for healthy living that will keep you trim, toned, and bikini-ready — even if your next adventure in the sun is in the far future.
- Eat breakfast: Aim for within an hour of waking up to jumpstart your metabolism, but make sure you're not making these breakfast mistakes that could cause you to gain weight.
- Try to work out at least five times a week, an hour a time: Do a mix of cardio workouts and strength-training workouts, but make sure you work those muscles to keep your metabolism up.
- Get more sleep: Not only will improving your sleep help prevent you from overeating (especially when it comes to junk food, but you'll have more energy to tackle those calorie-burning workouts as well.
- Move more throughout the day: The less you're sitting at your desk, the more calories you'll be burning. Take more breaks to stretch or walk, and incorporate a few of these relaxing stretches during couch time.
- Don't forget to sweat: Get more bang for your buck with high-intensity workouts that save you time and jumpstart your metabolism. This no-equipment Tabata workout will become your new favorite: you can do it anywhere, making it especially useful during those cold Winter months.
- Be ready for a reset: Let's face it, indulgences happen, and they should. But don't let a weekend of brunches and birthday parties turn into a month-long affair. Get ready to start anew with these tips for detoxing after an indulgent weekend.
- Save a few calories whenever you eat: No matter where you are, you can shave a few calories off your meal. Every little bit counts, so make these healthier swaps at breakfast, lunch, and dinner that will save you 100 calories at each meal.