I don't know what it is about the warm weather that makes me feel like I am able to do all these things I wouldn't normally attempt. From riding The Wave to getting behind the boat on a wake board, I'm in.
So this summer, before attempting any risky activities, be sure to use your smarts with this list of safety tips for extreme sports:
- Wear a helmet. Need I say more?
- Wear appropriate protective padding if possible. This could include knees pads, elbow pads, wrist pads, etc.
- Warm-Up. As with any exercise, a proper warm-up is needed to keep muscles and joints flexible and in peak performance. Be sure to warm-up the muscles you'll be working.
- Wear proper clothing. Wake boarding in a string bikini may seem like a good idea, until you fall and end up swimming around the lake with a nose full of water, naked.
- No pain, no gain need not apply here. I know it seems as though the motto of extreme sports is no pain, no gain but if you do get injured, you should stop the activity and see a medical professional.
- Take a lesson. Most people would profit tremendously by learning from someone who actually knows what they are doing. Take advantage of free lessons that are offered.
- Get a partner in crime. If a girl wipes out on her dirt bike in the forest, would anyone hear it? Yes, if she is smart because that means she did not go at it alone and will have someone to call 911 if need be.