Happy World Vegan Day! Just in time for candy-fueled post-Halloween remorse comes a day dedicated to celebrating the plant-based diet. Whether these top 10 signs you're a vegan describe you to a T or you're a vegan newbie, we've got a few resources for you. World Vegan Day marks the start of World Vegan Month in November; celebrate by checking out our vegan page for even more tips, recipes, and observations!
So You Wanna Be a Vegan
Ready to become an in-the-know vegan? Here are some tips on where to start:
- Educate yourself and hone your vegetable cooking skills with these five cookbooks about veganism.
- Don't do it for the weight loss — just because you're not eating meat or dairy doesn't mean you'll drop the pounds. Read on for why going vegan is a lifestyle change and may not help you lose weight.
- Don't be caught with an empty pantry. Stock your fridge with fresh veggies and ready-made vegan products so you're not tempted to break your diet. Read more about essential foods you need to stock before going vegan.
Read more tips about veganism after the break.
Are You Getting Enough?
It may be annoying when incredulous meat-eaters don't believe that you can get adequate nutrients from a plant-based diet, but going vegan does mean you have to take care to eat the right foods. Read our tips for planning your diet:
- Calcium is found in many types of vegetables, legumes, and fruits. Read our guide to dairy-free, plant-based calcium sources here.
- Protein is another important nutrient that you should make sure you're getting. If you need ideas, here are 10 ways vegans can eat 10 grams of protein.
- There's more: here are five questions vegans and vegetarians should ask themselves about the amount of nutrients in their diets.
It's What's For Dinner (and Breakfast, and Lunch)
If you need some ideas to jump-start your veganism, or just want to add new recipes to your rotation, look no further:
- Celebrate the season with these 10 vegan pumpkin recipes for breakfast and beyond.
- Who needs an egg salad sandwich? You can take these 10 vegan lunches with you to work.
- Delicious, healthy, and meat-free: here are six complete protein meals under 400 calories.
- Hold the butter and the eggs — here are 10 vegan dessert recipes to complete your meal.
Source: Flickr User Robert S. Donovan