Did you know that snow shoveling counts as moderate physical activity?
That's the good news since many of us have been shoveling a lot of snow recently. The bad news is that if you don't shovel safely, you could end up hurting yourself. So along with using proper lifting techniques while handling the shovel, use these tips for shoveling safely:
- Use a smaller shovel
- Make sure your shovel isn't bent, tilting, or otherwise damaged
- Take frequent breaks, even if only for a couple of minutes
- Stop and go inside if you become overheated
- Drink fluids
- Don't try to fling snow long distances
- Stop any time you feel pain
Fit's Tip: If you have a history of heart disease or high-blood pressure, you should talk to your doctor before shoveling any snow this Winter.