Have you ever savored creamy, custardy Persian ice cream before? Now vegans and dairy-free dieters can enjoy the dreamy signature blend of saffron, pistachios, and rosewater in this coconut milk-based ice cream. The saffron gives the ice cream a beautiful golden hue; the rosewater imparts a redolent, floral perfume; and the pistachios offer a nice, contrasting crunch to the richness of the coconut milk.
See the recipe for vegan Persian ice cream.
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
1 tablespoon agar flakes
1/4 teaspoon ground saffron
Pinch sea salt
3/4 cup pistachio nuts, chopped
1-2 tablespoons rosewater, or to taste
1/2 cup organic brown rice syrup
- Ice Cream Maker (Prefreeze bowl, if applicable)
Food Processor or Blender (optional)
- In a saucepan, whisk together coconut milk and agar flakes, and let sit for 10 minutes to open agar flakes up. Turn on flame, and add saffron and sea salt. Bring to a simmer and cover. Stir occasionally, and cook 20-30 minutes or until agar flakes have completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in rosewater and brown rice syrup. Pour custard mixture into a shallow pan, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate for 25 minutes, or until custard sets.
- Pour custard into ice cream machine, and churn for 20 minutes, or until firm. In last five minutes of churning, add pistachio nuts. Makes about a quart of ice cream.
- Desserts, Ice cream
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.