For a taste of Spring in the middle of Winter, spruce up your salad with this protein-rich spread fortified with an entire can of garbanzo beans, aka chickpeas. The pecans and apple pieces give this dish a crisp, fresh feeling.
This spread can be served many ways, but we like to use it as a replacement for tuna salad — perfect for all of you vegetarians out there. Try this chickpea salad on its own, with crackers or crudités as dip, or as a gluten-free wrap as demonstrated in this video featuring Chad Sarno, Whole Foods chef and coauthor of The New York Times bestseller Crazy Sexy Kitchen.
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added garbanzos beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 apple, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons dill relish
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kelp granules
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Pulse the garbanzo beans in the bowl of a food processor or blender until coarsely chopped.
- Transfer to a medium bowl and add apple, celery, pecans, relish, red onion, dill, lemon juice, and kelp granules.
- Stir until well combined. Season with pepper and chill until ready to serve. You can spread it over a salad or fold it into a wrap with collard greens.
- Main Dishes