FitSugar reader Gabriela Une Vie Saine has a recipe for collard greens that is not only healthy, but vegetarian too! She shared the recipe in our Healthy Recipe group.
These collard greens are a healthy take on the traditional Southern version. They have a great smokey flavor that tastes amazing with spicy food!
Read on for the recipe!
- Collard greens:
2 tablespoons garlic infused olive oil
3/4 pound onions, minced (about 2 medium onions)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 pounds (about 4 bunches) collard greens, stemmed and cut into 2″ squares
3 cups vegetable stock
4 chipotle peppers, seeded (cut single slit down side to open)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup shiitake bacon, finely chopped (recipe below)
3/4 pounds shiitake mushrooms, cut into thin strips
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- In large skillet, sweat onions in olive oil until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, saute for about a minute.
- Add collard greens and saute until wilted, 1-2 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock, chipotle peppers and salt. Stir to infuse with chipotle flavor, about 1 minute.
- Cover and simmer on medium heat for 7-10 minutes or until greens are tender. Toss occasionally.
- Remove chipotle peppers. Continue simmering uncovered until liquid has evaporated.
- Add shiitake bacon and toss to incorporate; serve immediately.
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Pour olive oil and salt over mushrooms and stir to incorporate.
- Spread in single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until dehydrated, but still pliable.
- Side Dishes, Greens
Share your own healthy recipes with us and we may feature yours on our homepage! Get started on our Healthy Recipe group.
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.