When it comes to making meals that will satisfy the needs of my fiancé and me, I have a lot to consider. He really enjoys a hot meal at night, while I could eat salad every day of my life (boring, I know). He really likes things that are saucy, while I usually go without the sauce or just put on the minimum. He likes to get his protein from meat, while I try to find other alternatives. In many ways, we are complete opposites, but this meal was able to successfully please both palates.
Read on for the recipe.
2 bell peppers
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
3–4 ounces tempeh
1 cup raw baby spinach
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup tomato sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp ground red pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup low-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Begin by rinsing off the green peppers and cutting the tops of the peppers off.
- Take all of the seeds and membranes out of the center of the peppers.
- Place in a baking dish and bake at 400ºF for 15 minutes.
- While the peppers are baking, chop the onion and tempeh.
- Place in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add the salt, pepper, red pepper, garlic, and spinach.
- Once the spinach is wilted, add the cooked quinoa to the mixture.
- Once the quinoa is all mixed into the sautéed mixture, add the tomato sauce and cheese.
- Once the peppers are done, place the mixture in the peppers. Place the stuffed peppers back in the oven for five more minutes. Remove from the oven, serve, and enjoy!!
Find this and more recipes at www.trebleinthekitchen.wordpress.com!
- Main Dishes, Tofu
Share your own recipes in our Healthy Recipe group, and we may feature yours on our homepage!