A good friend of mine cannot stop raving about this ChiWalking class she took, so I wanted to check it out.
ChiWalking, like ChiRunning, is based on the principals of Tai Chi but it has its own five steps: aligning the body and mind, engaging core muscles and willpower, creating balance between the upper/lower/right/left sides of the body, making the choice to stick with your healthy program, and moving toward your goal. The ChiWalking form emphasizes proper biomechanics of walking. The approach should make walking easier on the body and help improve and eliminate the aches, pains, and discomfort of walking incorrectly. It's almost like you relearn how to walk again and since walking is something you do every day, when your walking form is improved, you'll reap the benefits.
You can buy the book or if you'd like to learn how to do it in person, ChiWalking and ChiRunning are going on a nationwide tour starting April 26th in Newton, MA and ending in Seattle in October. Check out the schedule to see if there is a class coming near you.
For a quick ChiWalking lesson, just
Here's how to get started:
- Get aligned: Straighten your spine for maximum energy. Direct your mind to accomplish healthful goals.
- Engage your core: Stand straight and level your pelvis to engage your core muscles.
- Create balance: Check the symmetry of your stance. Create a walking plan that works just for you.
- Make a choice: Envision a personal goal and commit to achieving it.
- Move forward: Unite your mind and body as you begin your healthier way of life.
Sounds good to me. Walk on!