Walking is a great form of exercise because it's free, easy, low impact so you're less likely to get injured and can burn calories and tone your lower body at the same time. It's not the most exciting form of exercise though, so here are some ways to pep it up.
- Trade iPods with a friend and listen to her music instead. It's bound to be different and might be just the thing to inspire you to walk faster.
- If you don't have a buddy to walk with, talk on the phone while you walk. Catching up with a friend is a great way to pass the time.
- Change your technique. Take big steps, walk sideways, walk diagonally, do walking lunges, walk backwards, or skip. This is great for the treadmill, too.
- If you're outside, play a game with yourself. Like every time you see a red car, you walk as fast as you can until you see another red car.
- If you're walking on a treadmill, keep a little notebook and a pencil close by so you can jot down ideas for your job or make a to-do list. If you're outside, it would be safer to use a portable tape recorder instead.
- You can also read a book or magazine while walking on the treadmill (I wouldn't do this outside though).
- Walk in a new place. Sometimes a change of environment is great inspiration. You can walk on a busy street that has lots of stores so you can window shop, or you can walk in the park or a mall and people watch.
- Borrow someone's dog and take him for a walk. You'll appreciate the company and he'll appreciate the fresh air.
Do you have any other ideas? If so, please share them in the comments section below.