Now that we set the clocks ahead, and the snow is beginning to melt, why not get started on your Spring cleaning a little early this year? Dust and dirt can build up in hidden areas, and breathing that isn't good for your health. Not only will you feel a sense of calmness because your home will be clean, de-cluttered, and organized, but cleaning can burn 200-300 calories per hour (depending how intensely you move).
Here are some Spring cleaning ideas. You don't have to do them all,
but you'll feel much better if you can get to at least one.
- Open the windows and get some fresh air pumping through your home. It'll be good for your lungs to replace that stale dry air with a fresh breeze.
- Vacuum under the beds and other furniture. Dust loves to collect in dark areas that see little traffic, so if it's been a while, you might find entire dust bunny colonies.
- Dust and get rid of cob-webs. Doesn't it just amaze you how much of a dusty build-up can crop-up on your shelves, on top of the fridge, on your ceiling, on your TV screen, and behind doors? If you have allergies to dust like me, I like to use a wet washcloth or sponge so dust doesn't fly around.
Want to see some other ideas? Then
- If you have carpets or big area rugs, rent a steam cleaner to really get rid of dust, pet dander, dirt, and tiny food particles. It'll disgust you to see what comes up.
- If you have curtains over windows, take them down and throw them in the wash. They're great dust collectors because they hardly ever get cleaned. You can also wash blinds and windowsills — they tend to get really dirty and stained with mildew, which isn't good for you to breathe.
- Wash the inside of your kitchen garbage can. Lots of times you'll find moldy food at the bottom (eww).
- De-clutter and organize one area in your house that you've been meaning to get to, whether it be your closet, the refrigerator, or the basement. Throw out things you haven't used in the past year. Less stuff means less to clean and organize.
Do you have any other ideas? I'd love to hear about them, so tell me below.