Watching the Grammys last night, one of my favorite acts was Pink, not only because she is a gorgeous and strong role model for how your body can look with hard work, but because of her aerial dance moves. Wearing a skin-tight and skin-colored leotard, she spun high above us in the air, singing her heart out and doing acrobatic yoga moves while being cradled in a ribbon of white. It was really amazing, and if you missed it, check out the clip below of her gorgeous strength and flexibility.
While watching Pink soar in the air, if you thought "Wow, I want to do that," you're not alone. What woman doesn't want to wrap herself in ribbons and dance in the sky? Combining gymnastics, aerobatics, yoga, and dance, aerial dancing takes tremendous strength, courage, flexibility, and balance. Not only is it a great workout, but it will build your confidence and is probably the most fun you'll have while burning calories. Adult classes for all levels are offered in many cities across the US, so if you're interested, check out the list of schools near you when you
Some classes are all about learning how to do aerial dancing, and some are fitness classes that incorporate different types of circus arts, so contact the school to get more info.
- Santa Cruz, CA: Mir and A Company
- San Francisco, CA: Circus Center
- San Francisco, CA: AcroSports
- Santa Ana and Encino, CA: The Aerial Classroom
- Denver, CO: Aerial Dance Over Denver
- Denver, CO: Miraas Aerial Dance Studio
- Denver, CO: Aerial Fabric Acrobatics
- Boulder, CO: Frequent Flyers
- Clearwater and Tampa Bay, FL: BB's Dance & Circus Arts
- Chicago, IL: Aloft Aerial Dance
- Long Hill Township, NJ: AntiGravity Yoga at Core Connection
- Brooklyn, NY: Aerial Yoga
- Brooklyn, NY: Fly by Night Dance Theater
- New York, NY: Trapeze School of New York
- Portland, OR: Pendulum Aerial Arts
- Brattleboro, VT: New England Center for Circus Arts
- Brooklyn, East Bay, Los Angeles, Miami Beach, New York City, and San Francisco: Anti-Gravity Yoga Wings Class at Crunch Gym
I tried that Anti-Gravity Yoga, and it sure was fun! These are just a few of the schools and classes in the US, so if you don't see one near you, do a little search on the Internet and I'm sure you'll be able to find one in your area.