Nothing beats a homemade English muffin in the morning. Check out this recipe birdsflyinghigh posted in our Healthy Recipe Group.
To find out how to make these for your own breakfast,
- 1/2 cup warm water (115 degrees)
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons active dry yeast (from one 1/4-ounce envelope)
1 teaspoon unsalted butter, plus more for serving (optional)
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 tablespoon coarse salt
2 teaspoons whole flaxseed
2 teaspoons caraway seeds (optional)
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
Vegetable oil cooking spray
1/4 cup coarse cornmeal
Preserves, for serving (optional)
- Combine warm water, honey, yeast, and butter in a bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes, until foamy.
- Combine flours, oats, wheat germ, salt, and flaxseed, and caraway seeds if desired, in a large bowl. Add yeast mixture and buttermilk, and mix with your hands until flours are almost fully incorporated. Turn out mixture onto a clean surface, and knead until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Lightly coat a large mixing bowl with cooking spray, and place dough in bowl. Cover with plastic, and let rise in a warm, draft-free spot until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, knead for about 1 1/2 minutes, and roll to 1/2-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch round cutter, cut out rounds. Roll and cut scraps once. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment, and dust with cornmeal. Place rounds on sheet, cover with plastic, and let rise in a warm, draft-free spot until puffy, about 20 minutes.
- Heat a large griddle or 12-inch skillet over low heat. Working in batches, place rounds 1 1/2 inches apart. Cook until golden brown and dry, about 7 minutes per side. Let cool for 30 minutes; split with a fork. Toast, and serve with butter and preserves if desired. Muffins can be stored, wrapped in plastic, for 2 days, or refrigerated (up to 1 week) or frozen (up to 2 weeks).
Makes 12-15 English muffins
- Breads, Breakfast/Brunch, Muffins
If you have a tasty and healthy recipe to share, please share it in the Healthy Recipe Group. Include a photo and maybe we will post it on FitSugar!
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.