Zooey Deschanel is glowing in the April issue of Health magazine this month. Zooey, 30, will star alongside James Franco and Natalie Portman in the upcoming fairy-tale comedy Your Highness as Belladonna, Franco's virginal bride. In the meantime, she's currently on tour with She & Him, the indie folk duo she fronts with musician M. Ward. Zooey sat down to talk about being on the road, healthy eating, and why exercise is her "mood stabilizer." Here are the highlights:
- On eating while traveling: "I find that I'm almost healthier because I have to be really disciplined. I can't eat too much before a show, [or] you go on stage feeling terrible. And I almost always visit health-food stores in every city I'm in, just to make sure there's stuff on the bus I can eat — vegetables, fruits, lean meats, and nuts."
To see what Zooey says about snacking and exercising,
- On home cooked meals: "I don't really like sweets that much, but I find it really satisfying to bake for other people — cupcakes and cookies and cakes. I make a good quinoa spaghetti with pesto and zucchini. Pesto's one of those things you can experiment with, and one day I was like, 'What if I use hemp seeds instead of pine nuts because they're more nutritious?' I've made it for a lot of dinner parties. It was a hit!"
- On not snacking: "I try not to snack a lot. I know that sounds weird — some people think you should snack all time. If I start to snack too much, I don't have an appetite for meals. So I eat three square meals a day, and if I'm hungry, I have an apple."
- On her fitness regimen: "I really mix it up. I hike, run, bike. I do an hour a day, and then have a day off a week. And I took six years of tap dancing, and I love it! It's a good cardio workout!"
- On how she stays motivated: "Meeting a friend to exercise. Sometimes I have friends come over to my house to do a little circuit. And if they're coming over, you have to do it. You can't bail out when there's someone else coming!"