3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
4 bacon slices, chopped
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
12 oz chicken livers, trimmed
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, cut into 1/4- to 1/3-inch cubes (about 1 1/3 cups)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram*
2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, quartered
2 tablespoons dry Sherry, bourbon, or Cognac
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
Fresh parsley sprig
Rye bread slices, toasted or crackers, for serving
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add onion and sauté until pale golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir 1 minute.
- Add chicken livers, apple, and marjoram; sauté until livers are no longer pink inside and apple is soft, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer warm liver mixture to processor. Add hard-boiled eggs, Sherry, and salt; puree until almost smooth.
- Transfer mixture to fine to medium sieve set over large bowl. Using sturdy rubber spatula, press mixture through sieve into bowl.
- Mix in remaining 1/2 cup butter. Season pâté to taste with freshly ground pepper. Transfer to small serving bowl. Garnish pâté with parsley and serve with toasted rye bread or crackers.
Makes about 2 cups.
Make ahead: Can be made 4 days ahead. Cover and chill.
*My grocery store was out of fresh marjoram. I used parsley because it's what I had on hand, but oregano is another nice option.
- Appetizers, Spreads