Last Friday our very own peach-pie eating contest winner 7bits brought in a flat of super ripe peaches. At the end of the day there were eight peaches left and no one here to eat them. Instead of letting them go to waste, I decided to take them home and turn them into something tasty. I thought about making jam or ice cream, but really wanted something I could bring in to share with everyone. So after a quick search online I found a recipe that inspired me. Doesn't the name Ginger Peach Upside Down Cake inspire you too? To check out the recipe I used, read more
Note: This recipe uses white sugar in the topping, if I was to make it again, I would definitely try brown sugar for a more caramely effect. Also, most of my coworkers thought the cake was moist, but I thought it was a little on the dry side - next time I'll add a tiny bit more butter.
1 1/2 lbs ripe peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced (1/2-inch thick)*
1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3 tbsp unsalted butter
1/3 cup sugar
2 1/2 cup unbleached flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp dried ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 cup raw cane sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Toss sliced peaches with ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Sift together flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl beat sugar with butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each. Add vanilla. Add flour mixture and milk, alternately. Mix until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat a 10 to 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add three tablespoons butter and a third-cup sugar. Cook until golden brown and bubbling, stirring occasionally. Arrange gingered peaches on the bottom of the pan. Pour batter over the peaches.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes, until golden brown and firm in the center.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes, run a knife around the cake and invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm topped with vanilla or cinnamon ice cream.