This week, with all of the gingerbread and holiday baking, I thought it would be nice to make a simple cake to pair with coffee. Many folks have friends and family staying at their house this season and a coffee cake is something that whips up quickly and is perfect to have on hand. It works as a simple breakfast, and is delightful with an afternoon cup of tea. This particular recipe is a coffee-chocolate swirl, although I thought the coffee flavor could be heightened. The crumb is nice and moist, but be careful, there's a small window between perfect and overdone. To get the recipe,
12 Tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp instant coffee powder dissolved in 2 Tbsp hot water
2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups sour cream
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
- Preheat over to 350F.
- Butter and flour a 10-inch Bundt or tube pan.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar with a wooden spoon or an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and mix in the vanilla and dissolved coffee until blended.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir to blend.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with the sour cream in 2 increments, beating until thick and smooth.
- Spoon one-third of the batter into a small bowl and stir in the chocolate.
- Spoon 4 heaping tablespoons of the coffee batter into the pan, spacing them apart, then spoon some chocolate batter by the tablespoon into the spaces. Repeat until all the batter is used.
- With a knife, swirl through the mixture once to marble the batters. [Note: I felt once was not enough and would do it at least 2 times depending on how deep you are able to swirl the batter.]
- Bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then unmold right side up on a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Cut into slices to serve.