This week I decided to brave it out, and put my excuses — small kitchen, no room in the freezer, no pastry blender, etc. — aside and bake a pie. My friend Becky had some ripe pears off of her tree, and I still had a few of the apples from geeksugar. So with fresh produce in hand, and a few recipes at my fingertips I decided to roll out some dough and make a pie.
Things were not so great. I'll admit it now, I'm not great with pastry crust. Pie eludes me and while I successfully managed to create a bottom crust, the upper crust was difficult and not easy to work with — I should have put it back in the freezer first. After ruining what was left of the dough, I went into panic mode until I remembered I didn't need a top crust and could make a crumble instead. So I whipped up a few ingredients and sprinkled the crumble on top.
Overall it ended up being a delightful pie — the pears and apples really play nicely together — and when paired with a scoop of ice cream, it was absolutely heavenly. Oh and I know it doesn't quite look like a slice of pie, but like I said, pie eludes me...
To check out the recipe I used, read more
[Note: I cut this in half and used a crumble topping instead.]
2 cups butter
2-2/3 cups flour
1 cup water
1 tsp. salt
- Chill the butter in the freezer for 10 minutes so that’s it’s really cold.
- Pour the flour over the butter on a large work surface, covering the butter so that it won’t stick to your rolling pin.
- Roll the butter out flat, collect the mixture with a scraper, and re-roll it two or three times.
- Make a hole in the middle of the mixture and add the water and salt, cutting the liquid into the mix with the scraper until you have a workable dough.
- Roll the dough out flat one more time, cut it in half, and place in the freezer.
1/4 cup golden brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/8 - 1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
5 firm but ripe pears, peeled, cored and sliced
4 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
2 tbsp of lemon juice
2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, stir together the filling ingredients, mixing till well-combined.
1/2 cup flour
1/2 stick butter
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup golden brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
- Mix the butter and flour with the fork until it is textured like breadcrumbs.
- Add sugars and cinnamon to mixture and mix well.
- If it is too dry, use the leftover liquid from the apple/pear mixture to help.
- Roll one piece of pie crust into a 12-inch round and gently lay it into the pie pan.
- Spoon in filling. Do not add all of the extra liquid.
- Evenly put the crumble mixture over the apples.
- Bake pie in a preheated 425°F oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 375°F and bake for an additional 45 minutes or until the top is brown and filling is bubbly.
- Remove from oven to cooling rack, and let cool completely before serving.