Baked beans, whether from the South or Boston, are a traditional all-American side. As easy as it is to crack open a can of Bush's, pour into a pot, heat them up, and enjoy, sometimes it's nice to make a delicious batch of homemade (ok semi-homemade) baked beans. These pair perfectly with your standard bbq fare: hamburgers, salmon burgers, ribs, barbecued chicken, or even a nice hearty green salad. Whatever you serve them with, be sure to have a few chilled beers ready and waiting to wash these delicious spicy, sweet baked beans down. You can have the recipe, all you have to do is
6 bacon slices
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 1/4 cups purchased barbecue sauce
3/4 cup dark beer
1/4 cup mild-flavored (light) molasses
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons (packed) dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
4 to 6 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chilies
2 cans of black beans
2 cans of pinto beans
2 cans of the northern beans
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towels and drain. Transfer 2 1/2 tablespoons bacon drippings from skillet to large bowl.
- Finely chop bacon; add to bowl.
- Add onion and next 7 ingredients to bowl and whisk to blend.
- Whisk in 4 to 6 teaspoons chipotle chilies, depending on spiciness desired.
- Stir in beans. Transfer bean mixture to 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Bake uncovered until liquid bubbles and thickens slightly, about 1 hour. Cool 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.