I enjoyed the textural contrast of this chocolate almond spread, but if you're looking for a smoother spread, push it through a fine mesh strainer before devouring. Not in the mood for almonds? Try subbing other roasted nuts; we think peanuts, pistachios, walnuts, or the more traditional hazelnuts would be exceptional. And lastly, make sure to refrigerate if you don't devour it all in one sitting.
1 cup (5.5 ounces) almonds, roasted
9 ounces milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons almond oil or mild vegetable oil, such as canola
Heaping 3 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave until smooth.
- In a blender or food processor, grind the almonds until they break down into a fine powder. Add the oil and process until it forms a smooth paste (it should resemble a loose natural peanut butter). Add the sugar, vanilla extract, and salt, and process until well incorporated.
- Carefully add the melted chocolate; blend well.
- Decant into a storage container (such as a clean jam jar) and allow to cool to room temperature; the spread will thicken up considerably upon cooling.
- Condiments/Sauces, Jellies/Jams
- About 2 cups