At his Kidz Kitchen demonstration at the NYC Wine and Food Festival, Alton Brown not only answered audience members questions, but he taught the eager crowd how to make a kid-friendly dish, a pancake cake with a slime-like avocado frosting. Here are his tips for making the most delicious pancakes:
- Always weigh out the dry ingredients. It's especially important to weigh out the flour which can become very compact.
- For the best batter consistency, use both all-purpose and cake flours.
- If using baking soda include an acidic ingredient in the wet mixture. Brown likes buttermilk.
- To create your own pancake mix, measure several batches of the dry ingredients. Keep stored in air-tight container. Shake to combine before using the pancake mix.
- Don't overbeat. The batter should be lumpy.
- Be patient! When bubbles form around the edges of the cake and the center looks firm and set, carefully pick up with a spatula and flip over.
Did Alton Brown forget something? What's your technique for making the best pancakes?