In many cases, white rice is served alongside a saucy dish. When this happens, the rice is normally overlooked. However, white rice doesn't have to be boring, it can be delicious! Especially if you jazz it up with a simple stir-in of cilantro and lime juice. This recipe is incredibly easy — almost as uncomplicated as making white rice. Cilantro, garlic, and lime juice is blended with olive oil before being mixed into the cooked rice. If you don't like cilantro, get creative, white rice would be divine with a basil-lemon or parsley-orange oil folded in. To learn the technique,
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil.
- Add rice and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cover, and reduce to a simmer. Cook until water is absorbed and rice is just tender, 16 to 18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender*, combine cilantro, lime juice, oil, garlic, and 2 tablespoons water; blend until smooth. Stir into cooked rice, and fluff with a fork.
*I used a food processor instead of a blender.
- Side Dishes, Rice