Springtime is the perfect season to master an angel food cake. The light, airy, and spongy dessert is wonderfully versatile. It can be served with strawberries and whipped cream for an upscale take on classic strawberry shortcake. Or offer it with coconut ice cream and mango sauce for a tropical-inspired treat. Or plate it with chocolate sauce and raspberries for a decadent dish. Or . . . see, the possibilities for angel food cake are endless! It's simple to make: it's basically a bunch of whipped egg whites sprinkled with a little flour and sugar. The key is to fold the dry ingredients in very gently and carefully. To check out the recipe, keep reading.
- 1 cup cake flour (spooned and leveled)
1/4 teaspoon salt
12 large egg whites, room temperature
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place flour and salt in a sieve set over a bowl; sift into bowl, and set aside.
- With a mixer, beat egg whites on medium high until foamy, about 1 minute. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Continue to beat, gradually adding sugar; beat until stiff peaks form (see below), about 2 minutes. Add vanilla; beat to combine.
- Gently transfer egg white mixture to a large, wide bowl. In four batches, using the sieve again, sift flour mixture over egg-white mixture. While turning the bowl, use a rubber spatula to fold in the mixture by cutting down the center and coming up the sides.
- Gently spoon batter into an ungreased angel-food cake pan with a removable bottom; smooth top. Cut a knife or small spatula through batter to release air bubbles. Bake until cake is golden and springs back when lightly pressed, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Invert pan; let cool in pan, 1 hour. Run a knife around the inside of the pan and around the tube to release cake, and unmold. Use knife to release cake from bottom of pan, and remove.
To make it chocolate angel food cake: Replace 1/4 cup cake flour with 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder; reduce vanilla extract to 1 teaspoon.
- Desserts, Cake
- North American
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.