If you cannot find pea greens or pea shoots, substitute with another salad green.
- For artichoke puree:
- 1 jar artichoke hearts in oil, drained and oil reserved
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon oil from the artichokes
- For salad:
- 3 pounds baby artichokes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large bundle of pea greens
- 1 large bundle of pea shoots
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, shredded with a vegetable peeler
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- To make artichoke puree: Roughly chop the artichoke hearts. Stick everything but the oils in a blender and blitz until it's smooth. Keeping the blender running, add the oils in a slow stream until it all binds together.
- To make salad: Prepare the artichokes by rinsing, trimming, and quartering them. In a 12-by-18-inch roasting pan, toss artichokes with 2 tablespoons oil, a pinch of salt, and a pinch of pepper until artichokes are lightly coated in oil. Bake in a 450°F oven, stirring occasionally, until artichokes are browned and crisp at the edges and tender when pierced, about 15 minutes.
- Spoon artichokes into a bowl, and add lemon juice, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, pea greens, and pea shoots; mix thoroughly. Salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble salad: Use an offset spatula or spoon to spread a few tablespoons of artichoke puree among the plates. Carefully top each plate with artichoke and pea shoot salad. Garnish with parmesan cheese and walnuts. Serve warm.
- 4 small salads