Last week, I shared one of my favorite asparagus and pasta recipes, and now I'm going to show you another scrumptious seasonal secret. To give classic pasta carbonara a Spring makeover, I add chunks of asparagus! It's a simple step that provides a blast of fresh greenness to the pasta. Carbonara has long been one of my go-to staples and tossing in tender vegetables makes it taste lighter and healthier. For the quick and adaptable (use whatever veggies you have on hand) recipe,
2 large eggs
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 pound spaghetti
1 bunch asparagus, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
5 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup dry white wine
Salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs and cheese.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta until al dente, adding the asparagus during the last minute of cooking.
- Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Add the hot pasta and asparagus to egg mixture; toss to coat.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, stir in the garlic. Add the wine and cook until slightly reduced, about 1 minute.
- Stir the bacon mixture into the pasta, adding enough of the reserved pasta water to moisten; season with salt and pepper.
- Pasta, Main Dishes