During the holidays I had this elaborate and grand idea that I was going to try out a whole bunch of new recipes. Since I spent the majority of my days looking for awesome dishes to share with you, the things to make list grew and grew and grew. As Christmas neared, things got crazy and hectic and I completely forgot about my list. Today I found it and am as eager as ever to experiment in the kitchen. This recipe for chocolate hazelnut biscotti is a dessert from my list that I plan on baking soon. The biscotti can stay for up to week in an airtight container and will be a lovely partner to a late afternoon cappuccino. For the recipe, read more
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup blanched hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and butter and flour a large baking sheet.
- In a bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl with an electric mixer beat together butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat until combined well.
- Stir in flour mixture to form a stiff dough.
- Stir in hazelnuts and chocolate chips.
- On prepared baking sheet with floured hands form dough into two slightly flattened logs, each 12 inches long and 2 inches wide, and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
- Bake logs 35 minutes, or until slightly firm to the touch.
- Cool biscotti on baking sheet 5 minutes.
- On a cutting board cut biscotti diagonally into 3/4-inch slices.
- Arrange biscotti, cut sides down, on baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Cool biscotti on a rack. Biscotti keep in airtight containers 1 week and , frozen, 1 month.
Makes 30 Biscotti.