2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced small
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes in juice, drained (reserving juice) and finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Coarse salt and ground pepper
8 large eggs
12 long shavings (about 1 1/2 ounces) pecorino Romano cheese
Slices of crusty bread, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400º F. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat; stir in onions and sauté until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, several minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes; add red pepper flakes, ground cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and sugar. Turn heat down to low, then simmer until tomatoes have further broken down, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Using a ladle, transfer sauce to four 6-inch shallow gratin dishes or cazuelas. Crack 2 eggs into each dish. Bake until whites are set, about 25 minutes, rotating halfway through (yolks will still be runny).
- Top each dish with three long pecorino shavings; serve immediately with grilled bread.
Makes 4 servings.
- Eggs, Breakfast/Brunch
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern