- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped scallions (green parts only)
- 1 1/2 pint fresh shucked oysters (about 2 1/2 dozen medium-sized oysters), drained
- In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Mix in the olive oil and heat a few minutes longer. Add garlic, scallions, and all of the spices, and heat until soft.
- Add the bread crumbs and mix well, then remove the pan from the heat. Place the well-drained oysters in individual ramekins or gratin dishes, in a nine-by-nine-inch casserole dish, or individually on the half shells. Spoon equal portions of the bread crumb mixture over each.
- Bake in a preheated 450ºF oven until the topping is well browned, about 18 minutes. Set on dinner plates and serve immediately.
Serves 6 as a side dish or appetizer.
- Side Dishes, Seafood