1 1/2 cups instant polenta
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus more for the dish
1/2 cup (4 ounces) cream cheese
1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled gorgonzola
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 pounds pounds cremini or button mushrooms, stems discarded and caps thinly sliced
1 small shallot, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Bring 4 1/2 cups water to a boil. Whisking constantly, slowly add the polenta. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt and the butter. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cream cheese and 1/2 cup of the gorgonzola.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, over medium-high heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add half the mushrooms and cook for 6 minutes. Add half the shallot and cook for 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
- Repeat with the remaining oil, mushrooms, and shallot. Season the mushrooms with the pepper, thyme, and the remaining salt.
- Butter an 8- or 9-inch baking dish or eight 6-ounce ramekins. Stir 2/3 of the mushrooms into the polenta and transfer to the prepared dish or ramekins. Top with the remaining mushrooms and gorgonzola. Bake, uncovered, until the gorgonzola has melted, about 15 minutes.
- Grains , Main Dishes