I'm with the majority: I love barbecue sauce. Not just any barbecue sauce, but homemade finger-licking good barbecue sauce. Every Summer, I end up making some random recipe and become totally obsessed with it. Last year I was all about Barefoot Contessa's simple sauce and the Summer before I was crazy for Everyday Food's recipe. Currently, I can't get enough of Steven Raichlen's coca-cola barbecue sauce.It's easy to make and tastes divine. Although there is no vinegar in the ingredient list, the sauce has a delightful tanginess and rich thickness. Liquid smoke provides a depth of flavor. If you're a fan of this style of slightly sweet and piquant (it's not spicy) barbecue sauce I highly recommend you make it. Seriously it only takes 10 minutes. Learn how it's done now.
- 1 cup cola
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 3 tablespoon steak sauce, (recommended: A-1 Steak Sauce)
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a heavy non-reactive saucepan and gradually bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat slightly to obtain a gentle simmer.
- Simmer the sauce until reduced by 1/4, about 6 to 8 minutes. Use right away or transfer to a large jar, cool to room temperature, cover, and refrigerate. The sauce will keep for several months.
Makes about 2 cups.
- Other, Condiments/Sauces