The slider-sized patties are a mixture of ground beef, bulgur wheat, and spices. The recipe calls for a quick yogurt sauce, yellow peppers, and cabbage to top off the pitas, but feel free to get creative. Feta cheese and tomatoes would be delicious. Get the uncomplicated and satisfying recipe when you
3/4 cup bulgur wheat
8 oz 90% lean ground beef
1/4 cup sliced scallion
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp each ground cumin and turmeric
1/4 tsp salt
Nonstick cooking spray
1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
1/2 cup diced cucumber
2 Tbsp chopped plus 1/2 cup leaves fresh mint
4 multigrain pitas, cut in half
1 1/2 cups shredded red cabbage
1 large yellow pepper, sliced
- Put bulgur in a medium bowl. Add boiling water to cover; let soak 15 minutes or until tender. Drain well; return to bowl.
- Heat oven to 425ºF. Line baking pan with nonstick foil.
- Add beef, scallion, garlic, cumin, turmeric and salt to bowl with bulgur. Using hands, combine until well mixed.
- Form mixture into 24 little patties, 1/2 in. thick. Place on prepared pan and coat with nonstick spray. Bake 10 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt, cucumber and chopped mint in a small bowl.
- To serve, fill pitas with shredded cabbage, pepper, mint leaves and falafel; top with sauce.
- Beef, Main Dishes
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern