- 3/4 cup bulgur wheat
- 8 oz 90% lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup sliced scallion
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp each ground cumin and turmeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 2 Tbsp chopped plus 1/2 cup leaves fresh mint
- 4 multigrain pitas, cut in half
- 1 1/2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 large yellow pepper, sliced
- Put bulgur in a medium bowl. Add boiling water to cover; let soak 15 minutes or until tender. Drain well; return to bowl.
- Heat oven to 425ºF. Line baking pan with nonstick foil.
- Add beef, scallion, garlic, cumin, turmeric and salt to bowl with bulgur. Using hands, combine until well mixed.
- Form mixture into 24 little patties, 1/2 in. thick. Place on prepared pan and coat with nonstick spray. Bake 10 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt, cucumber and chopped mint in a small bowl.
- To serve, fill pitas with shredded cabbage, pepper, mint leaves and falafel; top with sauce.
- Main Dishes, Beef
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern