It's good to have a few blank canvas dessert recipes in your repertoire. By blank canvas, I mean desserts that are easy to make, may be prepared in advance, and can be creatively added to. For example, these buttermilk puddings are delicious alone, but are effortlessly jazzed up with a caramel sauce, fresh fruit, syrups, candies, or just about anything that floats your fancy! For a perfect Halloween dessert, use melted chocolate to give these individual puddings ghost faces or spider webs. With this dessert the possibilities are endless, so get the recipe,
1 1/4-ounce envelope unflavored gelatin
1 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup sugar
2 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Canola oil for the ramekins
- Combine the gelatin with 1/4 cup water in a small bowl or measuring cup and let stand for 3 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, combine 1/2 cup of the cream and the sugar. Cook, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the gelatin..
- In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, vanilla, and the remaining cream. Stir in the warm cream mixture.
- Lightly oil six 6-ounce ramekins. Divide the mixture evenly among the ramekins.
- Refrigerate, covered, 3 hours or overnight. To serve, run a knife around the edge of each ramekin and invert onto plates.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: CALORIES 270(54% from fat); FAT 16g (sat 9g); SUGAR 25g; PROTEIN 5g; CHOLESTEROL 59mg; SODIUM 147mg; FIBER 0g; CARBOHYDRATE 27g