Got leftover roast chicken, but don't have time to make chicken enchiladas? Then throw together this scrumptious chicken sandwich. Layers of succulent chicken meat, mashed avocado, and melted cheese combine to make a simple but satisfying sandwich. The secret ingredient is a quick homemade Russian dressing; it provides a rich creaminess that ensures the sandwich isn't too dry. Although the recipe calls for whole-wheat bread, feel free to use whatever bread you have on hand, just be sure it's toasted! Learn the uncomplicated method after the jump.
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup ketchup
1 scallion (green onion), white bulb and 3 inches green, very thinly sliced on the diagonal
3 teaspoons chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
1 whole boneless skinless chicken breast (8 ounces), cooked
1 ripe avocado
4 slices whole-wheat bread, lightly toasted
4 slices sharp cheddar cheese, 1/8-1/4 inch thick
Paprika, to taste
- Mix mayonnaise, ketchup, 1 teaspoon of the sliced scallion, and 2 teaspoons of the parsley in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cut the chicken breast in half down the center. Cut each half into four thin long slices.
- Peel the avocado, remove the pit, and slice each half lengthwise into four slices.
- Place two slices of chicken on each piece of toast. Spread half the reserved dressing over the chicken. Lay the avocado slices over the dressing and cover with remaining dressing. Place a piece of cheddar on top of each sandwich (the cheese should be large enough to cover the toast). Sprinkle lightly with the paprika and the remaining scallion slices.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Place the sandwiches in a broiling pan, and broil 3 inches from the heat until the cheese melts. Remove the pan from the broiler, and sprinkle the sandwiches with the remaining 1 teaspoon of parsley. Serve immediately.
- Main Dishes, Sandwiches
- North American
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.