Homemade pizza is a great dish to add to your weeknight repertoire. Especially when using a store bought dough, it can come together in under 45 minutes. If you enjoy creative toppings, you'll love this hearty chicken pie. Actually, it's really more of a flatbread, since there is no sauce. This recipe makes perfect use of the season's ripe tomatoes. The toppings are simple: spicy blackened chicken, chunky tomato salsa, and tons of pepper jack cheese. It's an unusual, yet scrumptious pizza that's packed with flavor and heat. This blackened chicken pizza would taste even more delicious when cooked on the grill, so if it's hot in your neck of the woods, take it outside! Get the recipe now.
1 tablespoon grill seasoning (recommended: Montreal Grill Seasoning) or other seasoning blend
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dried cayenne pepper
3/4 pound thin cut chicken breast
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
All-purpose flour or cornmeal, a couple of tablespoons to work dough
1 pizza dough
1/2 pound brick pepper jack cheese, grated
2 small yellow tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, optional
2 tablespoons thyme leaves
1 clove garlic
1/2 lime, zested and juiced
- Preheat a large heavy skillet over very high heat. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Combine grill seasoning, paprika, chili powder, cayenne pepper on a plate. Press thin cut chicken into seasoning on 1 side. Add oil to screaming hot pan and cook chicken 2 minutes on each side.
- Spread out a little flour or cornmeal and stretch out pizza dough onto a pizza pan.
- Remove chicken from pan and chop.
- Combine tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro and thyme. Make garlic paste by chopping garlic then mashing it with the flat of your knife and a generous pinch of coarse salt. Add paste to salsa. Add zest and juice of 1/2 lime and mix salsa thoroughly.
- Scatter chicken, salsa and cheese over pizza dough working to the edges of both pies. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until crisp and bubbly-brown on top.
- Main Dishes, Pizza