6 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1/4 cup grapeseed oil, peanut oil, other high smoke-point oil
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 medium jalapeño , veins removed, chopped
4 cups chicken broth or homemade chicken stock
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained (recommended Muir Glen fire-roasted)
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt (kosher or sea salt)
1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 ripe medium avocado
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (2 oz) (or other mild, melting cheese)
1 teaspoon chopped chipotle in adobo
3/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Chopped fresh cilantro
1 lime, cut into wedges
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook onion in oil 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and chile; cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes and salt. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add chicken; heat until hot.
- Meanwhile, fry the tortillas. Cut tortillas in half; cut halves into 1/4-inch strips. In 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Fry strips in oil, 1/3 at a time, until light brown and crisp. Remove from pan, sprinkle with salt; drain on paper towels. Reserve.
- Mix the chipotle in adobo, sour cream, and fresh lime juice in a small bowl. Stir to combine.
- To serve, peel and pit the avocado. Cut into 1-inch slices.
- Divide half of tortilla strips among 4 individual serving bowls; ladle in soup. Top with avocado and cheese; garnish with remaining tortilla strips and cilantro. Serve with chipotle sour cream and lime wedges.