Veggie burgers don't have to be boring or bland, and this awesome recipe proves it. The patties are made from garbanzo beans, so if you're a fan of falafel then you'll enjoy this burger. The spicy lemon mayonnaise and crunchy carrot slaw are essential to the dish. Don't leave them out; each component comes together to make a wonderfully flavorful and filling burger. When I made the patties the first time, I didn't use an egg; however, they started to fall apart, so I recommend using the egg as a binder. I warmed the patties in a skillet, but they would be great grilled. Ready to get cooking? Here's the recipe.
For the patties
3 tablespoons olive oil, divied
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
3 scallions, dark greens remove, finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons minced parsley
1 1/2 (15-ounce) cans of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed, pulsed until finely chopped in a food processor, be careful not to process completely, you want them to be chunky
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon cumin
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten
For spicy lemon mayo
1 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
Finely shredded zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
For carrot slaw
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups shredded carrots (2/3 lb.)
1 cup shredded radishes
For burger assembly
4 broiche buns
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
About 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
4 ounces salad mix (5 cups lightly packed)
- Make the patties: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, jalapeno, and green onion. Cook until the garlic is fragrant and the green onions soft and bright green, about 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn the veggies. Remove from the heat and set aside to let cool.
- Meanwhile prepare the mayo: Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Chill, covered.
- Make slaw: Whisk together vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl, then gently stir in carrots and radishes. Chill until ready to assemble the burgers.
- Finish making the patties: In a large bowl, combine the cooled cooked garlic-jalapeno mixture with the beans, bread crumbs, spices, and egg.
- Mix with your hands to incorporate everything well. Shape into 4 equal-size patties.
- To cook the patties, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Coat the pan with olive oil and brown the patties for 3-4 minutes per side until the outside is crispy and golden and the inside is warmed through.
- Preheat broiler and set a rack 4 inches from heat. Split buns, leaving one side attached, and open up. Place buns cut side up in a large rimmed baking pan; lightly brush tops with 1 tbsp. olive oil. Broil until golden, about 1 minute.
- To assemble, generously spread mayo on cut sides of buns. Place some salad greens on bottom side of each bun and top with a patty and some carrot slaw, then the top of the bun. Enjoy immediately.
Makes 4 burgers.
- Main Dishes, Beans
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern